Yesterday years 5 and 6 were given letters informing them about a new national reading competition that our school are taking part in. The competition is completely free and will last until 22nd March 2013. By taking part in the competition we will receive five new books for our library, as well as there also being many chances to win hundreds, even thousands, of fantastic reads.
The aim is for each child to read at least eight books, one from each of the following categories:
- Historical Hits - Tales to take you back in time
- It's a Mystery - Thrillers, whodunits and spooky stories
- Keep it Real - Books to fill your brain with facts
- Laugh out Loud - Rip-roaringly funny reads
- Out of this World - Titles with a touch of sci-fi, fantasy or magic
- Stars on the Screen - Books featuring characters from film and TV
- Thrill Seekers - Amazing adventure stories
- Wild Thing - Tales of animal antics
Each child that takes part will have their own profile online where they can record what they have read, our school we be able to view the profiles and see how everyone is getting on. There are already 42 books available online and waiting to be read, as well as, a recommended reading list of 48 books which you can borrow from our school or local library.
Once a book is read there are a few questions to answers online, the more interesting the answers, the more likely the chance of winning prizes!
If you are in year 5 or 6 and would like to take part then please see Miss Sparkes in the library for your log in details and a fact sheet.
You can find out more at www.readformyschool.co.uk